About Me

My photo
Forestville, Maryland, United States
Almost 40, recently married and enjoying my life one day at a time!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My First Korean Wedding... Eh.


Hey all,
I know its been a minute since I updated the blog. I guess these past few weeks have just been ordinary, nothing major to share. However this weekend I'm heading off to fly a plane and do some kayaking -- and I'll be ready to share those pictures and my experience as soon as I get back.

I'm back at school now and the kids are cool. Its seem like a lot of them spent the summer break studying at English camps, or the last semester paid off. I not sure which it is just yet.

My work load has been increase and I'm now teaching grades 1 - 6. It amazes me how first and second graders have a grasp of the English language and speak with almost a native child's ability whereas their third and fourth grade counterparts, have major difficulties forming simple sentences or saying the word banana.

Imagine that, and there's like what, a 2 year age difference if that! I don't know if it just me but I think young a child is the more intelligent he or she will be, maybe there's something in the new baby formulas.

Anywho, the Korean wedding this weekend; well the reception because we missed the wedding, due to traffic jams in Seoul.

It was nothing like I imagine it would be. TV and movies overly romanticize ceremonies throughout the world's cultures. I had an idea set in my mind of large banquet tables overflowing with foods and flowers, people dressed in their best traditional garb, music from tinny traditional instruments and a display that would leave me spellbound and mesmerized. Instead there was an adequate yet tasty buffet, an announcement of the newlywed couple, a symbolic cake cutting which included fireworks and a sword and plenty of bows and smiles from the new couple.

The wedding party then disappeared and I later found out that in Korean culture the newlywed's greets family and close friends and then they go away to have a private feast with even closer friends and relatives. Its also rumored that Korean sometimes pay guest to attend their wedding and deliver their wedding day speeches, however I don't think it was the case at this particular wedding because I later consulted with my co-teacher ('a Korean cultural authority') and she insisted that from what I described this wedding was small compare to normal standards and that I quote "wouldn't happen there".

I must admit I was a little let down but I'm quite happy for the new couple and I wish them fruitfulness and happiness. The company I traveled to the wedding with made up for what the wedding lacked. And so I left pleased.


Another inside look into Korean culture -- done!

Until next time.

Peace n luve

Derek

p.s. i'm studying Korean. how's it going you ask. It's going... blaaahahaha!

1 comment:

  1. It is fun to see other cultures ways of doing traditional events. I'm sorry it wasn't a "big" one.

    I remember when we taught English in Japan they were so confused with the word "the" and when/how to use it etc. It is funny how you think about English so much more when you have to teach it to someone else.

    Hang in there with Korean!

    ReplyDelete

Mandumania 2.0: The Reboot!

It's been 8 years since I last posted something on the blog. I hadn't forgotten about it,  I guess I just didn't have much to ...